Growing up, flapjacks were one of my favourite things, sourced either from the village bakery where we tried and failed to replicate their recipe, or mums delicious homemade ones with a crispy edge and a chewy inside. They bring back fond memories of sneaking into the kitchen late at night to find the old tin of Quality Streets that housed these delicious oaty treats. Fast forward twenty years (wow that makes me feel old) and I wanted to transform the classic flapjack recipe in to a clean eaters dream.
So goodbye refined sugar, margarine and golden syrup and hello to coconut oil, chia seeds, and vegan protein powder.
Hope that you find these flapjacks as yummy as I did.
50oz coconut oil
1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
1 ripe banana mashed
1 table spoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon of dessicated coconut
2 tablespoons vanilla vegan protein powder
10oz gluten free oats
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees (fan assisted oven)
2. Line a rectangular baking tray with greaseproof paper
3. Mix the banana and add into a pan with the oil and syrups and heat until mixed.
4. Next stir in the coconut, chia seeds and protein powder and combine.
5. Then stir in the oats until everything is combined.
6. Press the mixture in to the baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
7. Leave to cool and slice in to rectangles or other cool desired shape